Monday, December 24, 2018

Review: Women Warriors by Pamela D Toler

Women Warriors: An Unexpected History
The author states her intent is to bring women warriors out of the historical shadows; to consider the reasons that they have taken up arms and how those reasons related to their roles; and the consequences of their actions.

I am actually going to be very blunt here - this is very basic stuff that a good google search can produce. I myself have written about over half the women mentioned; have read the same books; have read the same internet articles. And if this is your area of interest, then you also have already - so nothing new, no "unexpected history". I could literally just publish my own blog - Women of History - as a book (which is what this looks like to me - at times I felt as if I was reading my own works).

There are lots of snappy titles - "father's daughter", "widows", queen" - you get the gist - but I felt it could have been better organised. Yes, there is a great spread of warrior women across time, but it is presented in a hodge-podge sort of way (under the snappy titles) rather than in chronological order. Had the author (editor, publisher) maybe presented the work in this way, we the reader may have been able to see more of a development in the ways women took to the battlefield. You don't unfortunately get this - just some randomly arranged biographies interspersed with some commentary and biographies that don't really seem to fit under any the chapter. We finish with a dozen or so references - six biographies - though the notes are a little more extensive.

No star rating from me - I surprised myself by even finishing it to be perfectly honest.

Please bear in mind that this is my review of the book and its presentation, not the author; I know how huffy people can get in defending their favourite authors.

I would be very interested in the thoughts of those for whom this area is something completely new.



No comments:

Post a Comment