Saturday, April 4, 2020

Review: Royal Flush by Margaret Irwin

2346941Synopsis: This is not an historical novel in the ordinary sense. It is something new: the life of an actual royal family, whose story is so rich and varied that it falls naturally into the form of a modern novel. The heroine is that `Minette`, princess of England, Duchess of Orleans, who linked to dramatically the fate of her brother, Charles II, with that of her cousin, Louis XIV.




Henrietta was youngest daughter of King Charles I of England and his wife, Henrietta Maria of France. Fleeing England with her governess at the age of three, she moved to the court of her first cousin Louis XIV of France, where she was known as Minette. Her childhood was spent in near penury and as a persona non grata, dominated by the vagaries of the generosity of the French Court.  That is until her brother Charles became King of England (1660) - then her fortune and that of her family changed.  

A favourite of Louis since childhood, Henrietta was married Philippe I, Duke of Orléans, brother of King Louis XIV, known as Monsieur, she became known as Madame (1661). Her marriage was marked by frequent tensions. Philippe's lifestyle was the subject of much scandal through the court, and her own personal life was less morally upright so much so that the paternity of her children was in doubt.

".. a hundred eyes, a hundred tongues, all working against me ..."

Henrietta was instrumental in negotiating the Secret Treaty of Dover between England and France which her brother Charles had been attempting since 1663.  But tragedy was to strike all too soon; and that same month she met an unexpected death.  Rumours of poison abounded and the finger of suspicion pointed to Philippe and his entourage.  Fate would deal Henrietta's eldest daughter a similar hand - she too would die in circumstances similar to her mother nearly twenty years later.


To be completely honest, I wasn't a fan.  I did not like the writing style though can appreciate it was written in the earlier half of the 20th century.  I felt no empathy with the character of Minette as represented here.  I found the storyline hard to follow at times as other characters took centre stage.  There is no clear timeline - for someone not au fait with this period, this would be very confusing.  It is a highly romanticised account of this tragic Stuart Princess, which fell flat.

At the very start of the book the author claims although this is a novel, it's not "but something new". A great contradiction I could not find - and what was the actual point of this statement - I am still left wondering.

So glad there are much more current and up-to-date books covering Henrietta Stuart, as well as a few older ones which given her much better treatment.


Edit:
After some contemplation, I feel I may have been a bit harsh.  I fear I have committed the cardinal sin of judging something that is considerably older by today's standards.


Though the fact remains that I did not like the book or the style of  writing, I must return now and give the author - Margaret Irwin - her due credit.  Her books were written nearly a century ago - access to historical details would have been mostly through academic resources, local histories, or books written earlier than the author's own.  The research would have been painstakingly slow - something that I myself was familiar with when writing long before the internet existed.

I am actually intrigued by the fact that aside from her many historical novels, she wrote a biography on Walter Raleigh - That Great Lucifer.  Think I will try and track down this one.

So my humblest apologies dear Margaret; my criticism was for the book and not your good self.


further reading;
Brother to the Sun King: Philippe, Duke of Orleans by Nancy Nichols Barker
The Tragic Daughters of Charles I by Sarah-Beth Watkins
Five Stuart Princesses edited by Robert S Rait
Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King by Antonia Fraser

A Prince of Pleasure: Philip of France and His Court, 1640-1701 by Hugh Stokes
My dearest Minette: the letters between Charles II and his sister Henrietta, Duchesse d'Orléans by Charles II of England

No comments:

Post a Comment