Sunday, March 1, 2020

Review: Murder Will Out by Tony Piazza

36266037. sy475 Synopsis: 1930s Hollywood wasn’t just moving picture stars and backlots. It was also a petri dish crawling with crime. Power breeding corruption, wealth motivating robbery, and revenge leading to murder. In these three tales, Private Investigator, Tom Logan uses his brains, fists, and caustic wit, to first, take on a mysterious organization called ‘The Syndicate,’ which is usurping territory from other mobs and has placed a target on him, and the female witness he’s protecting. In a second story, Tom rescues a fair maiden from the clutches of a racketeer running a gambling boat. She becomes the ‘marker’ Logan has to prevent him from cashing in. And finally, Tom discovers that revenge is anything but sweet. A repeat (serial) murderer – labeled ‘The Full Moon Killer’ by the press, is stalking The City of Angels. Unfortunately, Logan’s name is on this character’s list.


Not the first book with this title, nor the first to be set in this era. But I was intrigued. The theme of old Hollywood, detectives (or PIs), a mystery, an author with a connection - who could not be hooked.

The fact this that is a prequel - and that I had not read any in the preceding series - was a good omen. It meant that I was starting at the beginning, I hadn't missed anything, and I had something more to look forward to. And I will be seeking out this series.now that I have read these three "cases". I also enjoyed the first person narrative - which reminded me of two of the genre's other great detectives - Spade, Marlowe. 

I am returning to my roots - so to speak - of detective fiction, and have read extensively over the last few years, some old favourites and some new works. This is one I would happily add to my own collection - and the rest in the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment