Saturday, June 27, 2020

Review: The Paris Mysteries by Edgar Allen Poe

The Paris MysteriesSynopsis: Three macabre and confounding mysteries for the first and greatest of detectives, Auguste Dupin.

An apartment on the rue Morgue turned into a charnel house; the corpse of a shopgirl dragged from the Seine; a high-stakes game of political blackmail - three mysteries that have enthralled the whole of Paris, and baffled the city’s police. The brilliant Chevalier Auguste Dupin investigates - can he find the solution where so many others before him have failed?

These three stories from the pen of Edgar Allan Poe are some of the most influential ever written, widely praised and credited with inventing the detective genre. This edition contains: ’The Murders in the Rue Morgue’, ’The Mystery of Marie Rogêt’ and ’The Purloined Letter’. 



Apart from "the Raven" and the "Tell-Tale Heart", I had not read anything else from Poe. I was acquainted with "The Murders of Rue Morgue" and "The Purloined Letter" but had read neither. I did enjoy these two, however, the second story, "the Mystery of Marie Rogers", I disliked only because it seemed to re-hash information time and again, dragging out the story to the point I just skipped through.

I would not really put these into the category of detective fiction as Dupin just has monologue after monologue, there is no real investigation.

I have done my due diligence and have read them, but not likely to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment