Saturday, December 11, 2021

Review: The Acupuncture Murders by Dwight Steward

Synopsis: Trehune, a gluttonous rare book dealer, attempts to overcome his deafness by acupuncture treatment. While witnessing a demonstration operation that ends up in a suspicious death, Sampson Trehune begins to snoop about for the murderer.


Whilst book browsing, I can across this little tome and the premise intrigued me - a totally deaf detective. This 1977 book was part of the Penguin Crime series, of which I had a number in my own personal collection, so thought it would make an interesting addition.

I struggled with this one - quite possibly due to the requirements of adding in sign-language and lip-reading into the vocalised narrative (for which I applaud the author) - however, it just added any extra layer to the chore of reading. Putting that aside, I really did not find myself invested in the storyline, or any of the characters, and forced myself to push through to the end. And to be honest, my mind wandered so much that I could not even tell you "whodunnit" as I cared not a jot.

Others may pick this up and enjoy it - for me, it goes into the donation bag for the little neighbourhood street library.


No comments:

Post a Comment