Saturday, December 1, 2018

Reviews: Council of Twelve by Oliver Potzsch

The Council of Twelve (The Hangman's Daughter #7)
I was drawn to this novel as I was reading "The Faithful Executioner" by Joel Harrington. What I found interesting was that inspiration for this series of novels was drawn from the author's own family history - and that our main character - Jakob Kuisl (1612 - 1695) - was indeed an ancestor!

So to the tale - the seventh in the series, and the first I had read. Jakob and family travel to Munich in 1672 to attend a council of hangmen - the "council of twelve". They are not a welcome addition to the local population being considered outcasts by most other segments of polite medieval society.

A series of murders of young women - all by methods known and used by the profession - leads Jakob and his daughter Magdalena to investigate in the face of growing concerns among his brethren and the townsfolk. The story flows nicely, leading up to the unveiling of the killer and the side stories are closed off.

I had no issues with picking up the threads of the six stories that had preceded this one. My only bug-bear, I though that it needed a little editing as in a new paragraph each time the scene changed - though I am sure this will be dealt with in the final editing stage.

I look forward to reading the series from start to finish.

Visit Oliver's website HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment