Monday, December 24, 2018

Review - Unquiet Women by Max Adams

Unquiet Women: From the Dusk of the Roman Empire to the Dawn of the Enlightenment
I read this one a couple of days before Pamela Toler's "Women Warriors" - and to be perfectly honest, I feel like cutting and pasting my review of that book here.

A " ... crafted patchwork of the forgotten lives of some of the most remarkable women in history ..." - only if this is not your area of interest. If it is, then this is merely a collection of things of interest to the author and organised in some sort of chapter according to their subject matter. To me personally, it reminded me of a blog that has been published as a book - some random biographies presented with archaeological discoveries and local histories to add some additional flavour.

Again, as with Toler's book, I have covered off over half of the content in my own blog and have read the very same biographies and internet articles (as I assume anyone with the remotest interest in this area would have also).

Quote: Unquiet Women brings to life the experiences of women whose voices are barely heard and whose stories are rarely told. - sorry, but the last have dozen years (if not last decade) has seen a considerable surge in this type of research, with numerous books, blogs, articles, etc, giving voice to any number of "invisible women" that you could practically trip over it with every corner turned.

Another no star rating here - I was rather bored, having a constant sense of deja vu the more I read.


No comments:

Post a Comment